Friday, June 3, 2011

And that's the way it was...

Good evening, all!  My name's Jon, I'm a Scorpio who enjoys long, quiet walks on the beach and candlelit dinners.  If you like pina coladas, you know the drill.  I never like writing these things, mainly because I regret not saving my biographies from previous quarters.  Anyone else have that same "Damn it! I KNEW I should've saved that!" moment?  Oh well, moving on.  My name IS Jon, and like many of you, I am continuing my journey to enlightenment and better pay by completing one of my dreaded "required" classes.  Luckily, this course appears at the onset to be a little fun and will help to balance my more stuffy classes this quarter.

I got hitched at the age of 18 (now divorced), and promptly joined the Navy to be able to provide for my family.  Marching in President Reagan's funeral, ceremonial duties in and around the Washington DC greater metropolitan area, and being part of President Bush's second inauguration (how did that happen?) comprise the highlights of my first two years of service as a US Navy ceremonial guardsman.  The following three were spent as an Aviation Structural Mechanic working on the dirtiest flying bricks ever invented- the Northrup Grumman C2-A.  I've spent two weeks across the street from Ipanema beach, slept on the floor of a freezing cold museum in Chile, fought shipboard fires for 36 hours straight, seen the southernmost tip of South America, and smoked Cuban cigars in San Diego.  Though I miss flight deck operations at night, and the camaraderie one can only experience in the armed forces, I am happy to be in charge of my own destiny again.  I still work in aviation, but would like to start my own business.  I have yet to determine what that might be, but if you promise to mind your own business, I'll do the same.

When there is free time available, I enjoy blues guitar, vintage stereo gear, and going places with my girl.  Because I work full time and have a full course-load, there are a myriad of dusty guitars, disassembled stereo pieces, and an unhappy, but understanding girlfriend currently residing at my house.  I'm also considering a fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment