Friday, June 3, 2011

I Wrote That?

The timed writing assignment based on a movie was a disaster.  Essentially, I was to watch the film, District 9, several times, take notes, then write an essay based on a surprise prompt; the prompt of course being, "Using the film discussion and your viewing notes, develop a thesis-driven essay of 3-5 paragraphs that demonstrate HOW the film defines what it is to be an outsider (avoiding unnecessary plot summary). In the second part of your essay, discuss how the film and group discussion that ensued challenged or affirmed your own perceptions of what it is to be an insider or outsider".

I've never considered myself a wordsmith, and adding a time limit to the equation did not help my stress levels.  My main goals were to stay on prompt, avoid summarizing the film, and to add a little shock value for the reader; the film was shocking and the analysis deserved the same.  I've been afforded the opportunity to save this poorly-written piece, Red Lobster, and for that I am grateful.  However, though I've done the best I can to resuscitate this horrible draft, I still feel the best option is to bury it with dignity, and forget Red Lobster ever existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment